Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Joined my FIRST art book club tonight!

Joined my FIRST art book club tonight. It's called 'Creating Outside the Book'. It is really more of an art group of creative women than a book club, but they use a book/magazine each quarter as their guide for inspiration. They do make-n-takes, show and tell art and have guest speakers.

If you live in the San Diego/Orange County area you can click on the above link and find out more information. There are two locations and both are open for more members if you are interested.
1. Third Wednesday of the month at Cool Scrapbook Stuff Store
2. First Thursday of the month at Gee Gee's Stamp Store

I went to the one at Cool Scrapbook Stuff Store in Poway...

They had a very special guest speaker tonight: Jenny Doh!!!


Jenny Doh, on the left below, taught us a crochet technique. Elena Etcheverry, on the right below, is the leader of this art/book club.


Jenny Doh also spoke about her new book called 'Creative Pilgrimage'. It highlights 14 artists and 8 artist retreats.


I was soooooooo excited I was able to get two of my Somerset Studio magazines autographed by her and a photo of me with her! Jenny used to be editor in chief of Stampington & Company magazines for many years and now she is owner of Crescendoh.

Here are my now signed magazines! :-)




She is also the author of this amazing book in which I already own, absolutely love and highly recommend!


Next it was show and tell time...

Elena (above) had gone to CHA and brought back some of Suzi Blu's new stamp images (below). I took photos here of my favorite ones...click on image to get a better view.





We then went around the room and everyone shared art they have been working on. Here are some amazing photos of all their amazing art!!...click on photo for a blown up view....

This beautiful girl with a heart is by Flor Larios.
Jen Cushman made this amazing heart piece with wire and gold crown.
And the adorable pink hearts, pearls and bird was made by Peggie.



by Gaye Larson (left) by Arma (right)




Amazing bowl by Alicia. Creative box by Kathren




'My Great Grandma' by Kathren. The adorable owl is by Cynthia. Trisha made the pinwheels. And this is my dear friend Kat :-) holding one of Trisha's pinwheels.


And finally....we all got sent home with a cool little bag full of surprises. This is our art kit. There is a surprise kit given out every month and we are asked to create something beautiful from the supplies provided.


Overall it was a really FUN night.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you!! I would love to have some sort of artsy group where I live, but unfortunately no such thing...yet! I am working on trying to change that though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU GO GIRL!!! If I was there...I would join! :-) What area do you live in? I wish I could help you get something started! Go for it, Girl! People will come. :-)

      Delete